Quote by Blog Author.

"I have gained nothing if people admire my writing; I have nothing left to gain when people think over what I have written."

Gautama Buddha's Quote.

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.

-- As quoted in the Kalama Sutra.

Search This Blog.

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Mahabharata's infamous game of dice: A modern-day take on the Dyoota-Parva

The king Yudhishthira, in the Mahabharata, plays a game of dice against the wily Sakuni and loses everything unto him. It is often asked as to why such a wise man is impelled to play a game of chance that is referred to in the scriptures as an instrument of deceit. Three explanations are given as follows.
  • Yudhishthira had a natural tendency, bordering on addiction, to play dice.
  • The code of conduct of the kshatriyas [military race] at that time required that a game of equal hazard must not be turned down.
  • Yudhishthira had taken a vow not to displease his cousins and other relatives at that time.
Even if we assume that etiquette had to be obeyed, surely we can avoid games that wreck havoc on the moral fabric. The Mahabharata is a handbook of what must not be done, hence we find the wise king playing and losing the game, which results in unquenchable enmity that ends only with the destruction of 18 divisions of the kshatriyas, numbering more than four million soldiers.

In everyday life, we face situations, which propriety demands that we should turn down, but we end up doing things due to our weakness. I have been reading a book on how to say “No” to such unsolicited invitations and spent time wondering how it could be applied to the Mahabharata.

Let us assume that these codes of conduct would not be applicable, and Yudhishthira was wise enough to turn down the invitation all by himself. Presenting a modern-day take on the Dyoota-Parva.

(The first two dialogues are verbatim; the following ones are my imagination. I hope Good and Pious people and devotees of Lord Krishna are not troubled by my imagination. I only want to indulge in some light humour.)

Yudhishthira: O king, gambling is bad. It is not through heroism or merit that one succeeds in a game of chance. Asita, Devala and other wise sages who were well-versed in worldly affairs have declared that gambling should be avoided since it offers scope for deceit. They have also said that conquest in battle is the proper path for the kshatriyas. You are not unaware of it.
Sakuni: What is wrong with the game? What, in fact, is a battle? What is even a discussion between Vedic scholars? The learned man wins victory over the ignorant. The better man wins in every case. It is just a test of strength or skill, that is all, and there is nothing wrong in it. As for the result, in every field of activity, the expert defeats the beginner, and that is what happens in a game of dice also. But if you are afraid, you need not play. But do not come out with this worn excuse of right and wrong.
Yudhishthira: I agree that the better man wins in every case, but it still appears to me that gambling is wrong.
Sakuni: How can a game in which the better man prevails be wrong?
Yudhishthira: I don’t know, but authorities have associated gambling with deceit.
Sakuni: You are borne of a noble race. You are well-versed in the kshatriya code of conduct. The code of conduct demands that a game of equal hazard be accepted.
Yudhishthira: I agree that a game of equal hazard must be played, but I don’t want to play a game that will induce passions and produce enmity.
Sakuni [changing tack]: Nothing extreme will happen if the game is played in moderation.
Yudhishthira: It all starts with a little bit only. Slowly it builds up and becomes a reckless show.
Duryodhana [intervening]: I have erected this hall specially for playing this game of dice. The cloth has also been laid. You have also come all the way from Indraprastha at my father’s invitation. Now all of a sudden you change your mind like this. Is this the regard you have for my father? Is this the way you please your cousins?
Yudhishthira: No disrespect is meant for your father. But I don’t understand the logic that a game of dice has to be played every time a hall is erected and a piece of cloth laid. I have already made it clear that I don’t want to play. And if you are displeased, I can’t help it.
Duryodhana: Is this the way an Emperor who has performed the Rajasuya sacrifice talks?
Yudhishthira: I don’t understand what the Rajasuya sacrifice has got to do with this. I don’t want to play.

[A commotion prevails as it is not clear whether the game will be played or not. Yudhishthira thinks of Lord Krishna. Then Yudhishthira seems to hear an inner voice that tells him to come out for a while. He comes out, and is greatly surprised to see Lord Krishna standing before him. He offers his obeisance to Him.]

Yudhishthira: Lord, I am greatly surprised to see You here. I thought You were battling your enemy King Salva who has besieged your fortress Dwaraka.
Lord Krishna: That is true; even now I am battling the enemy, but I am present everywhere. I see that you have a problem, so I am here.
Yudhishthira: Yes, O Govinda, that is true. These Kauravas are pressing on me to play a game of dice. You know that the game of dice is deceitful and fraught with evil. Great sages have told that...
Lord Krishna: Cut the sermon short. I know all about the game of dice, and I also know that you know all about the game of dice. Know that of all forms of cheating, I represent gambling. (This phrase will later appear in the Bhagavad-Gita.)
Yudhishthira: Yes, O Lord, I want You to come to the Hall and convince these people not to continue with this game. Please come with me.
Lord Krishna [smiling]: Ajatasatru, I want you to play this game.
Yudhishthira [greatly surprised]: O Son of Devaki, have You also joined these ill-meaning people? I ask You for something and You advise quite the opposite.
Lord Krishna: Yudhishthira, know that I have never given you advice that is bad for you or your brothers. The evil that will arise out of this game will be short-lived compared to the long term good of you gaining the whole kingdom of Hastinapura and being able to rule it righteously.
Yudhishthira: Lord, I do not seek the whole of Hastinapura. I am satisfied with my own domains. Gambling will only produce immoral behaviour. Even if I gain the whole world, I will never be able to rule righteously as I will be always called a gambling addict.
Lord Krishna: O Partha, every man is endowed with certain defects. You are no exception. If you don’t gamble now, people will anyway call you a man who refused the invitation to the game out of cowardice. [Sounds eerily like the explanation given at the beginning of the Gita.]
Yudhishthira [now confused]: But why at all should I gamble? Forget about the good or bad coming to me. You should tell me the real reason behind Your strange advice.
Lord Krishna [smiling]: Son of Kunti, here I must take you back in Time and narrate to you certain events that occurred before I came to this world.

[The scene is cut here. A spiral rewinds. Lord Krishna takes Yudhishthira into the past. Yudhishthira sees Lord Vishnu (Lord Krishna’s form among the Gods) holding a council among Indra and the other Devas.]

Indra [addressing Lord Vishnu]: Lord, Protector of this Universe, You know that the Goddess Earth has already petitioned about the burgeoning human population that is burdening Her domain. Unrighteousness is increasing on the Earth. The old scriptures that were laid down by the wise sages and pious souls have been misinterpreted and are being taken out of context. The human population needs to be reduced to maintain the balance of the Earth. You must do something about it.
Lord Vishnu: Do not worry, O Gods. I will appear on the planet Earth and relieve the Goddess of Her burden. I will appear among human beings and act like one, even though I will always know who I am.

[The scene is cut. Now, Lord Krishna reveals His Universal Form. In this, Yudhishthira sees himself playing the game of dice with Sakuni. He sees himself losing everything. Then he sees Draupadi’s humiliation and the Pandavas being exiled for 13 years. After the exile, he sees the armies of the two antagonists assembled for mutual destruction. After an 18 day war, he and his brothers are seen among the very few survivors. Then he sees himself being crowned the king of Hastinapura.]

Lord Krishna: Know that these events have already happened by My will, O Yudhishthira. Just be My instrument. [This will also appear later in the Gita.]
Yudhishthira [bowing to the Lord with folded hands, offers his obeisance]: Lord, I understand Your true Purpose and Mission in this world. I will do as You command.
Lord Krishna [smiling]: So be it.

[Yudhishthira now returns to the Hall of dice, and confers with his brothers. After that, he addresses the assembly.]

Yudhishthira: Well, I shall play.

Truly, Destiny is all-powerful.

2 comments:

  1. Nice narration.
    "I have been reading a book on how to say “No” to such unsolicited invitations", I think you are the one who would least require it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @AP
    :). Thanks a lot da. I was reading that book to pass idle time.

    ReplyDelete